A VERY SIMPLE RECIPE FOR BIRYANI
- 2 cups rice, boiled till almost done or a day old cooked rice ( preferably Basmati )
- Mixed vegetables - cut small size 3 -4 cups ( Carrots,Beans,Cauliflower,Peas )
- onions grated or finely chopped 1/2 cup
- Ginger - Garlic paste 2 tsp
- Green chilles 1 or 2 slit in half (optional )
- Coriander powder 4 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1 tsp
- Garam masala ( or Biryani Pulav masala) 1 tsp
- Chilli powder 1/2 tsp (or more if you like spicy )
- Vegetable oil 4 tbsp
- coriander leaves chopped 1/2 to 1 cup as desired
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds. Let it brown.
- Add the onions and Ginger Garlic paste.Saute till lightly browned.
- Add the vegetables.Stir fry on a low heat till semi cooked.
- Add the green chillies and the powdered spices.
- Add salt to taste.
- Mix in half the coriander and lemon juice and cook for about 5 minutes.
- The water should be absorbed by now. At this stage, remove half the vegetable mixture in a bowl.
- Even out the remaining vegetable and layer with half of the rice .
- Cover with the rest of the vegetables and a layer of rice again.
- Cover and leave on the lowest heat for about 10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with coriander.
- If you like, you can slice onions and fry them till brown and add a layer on the top.
- Alternatively, you can layer the vegetable and rice in an oven proof glass serving bowl and cover and cook for 10 minutes at 160 C
- For a typical Biryani, you can soak few strands of Saffron in 2 tbsp warm milk for 15 minutes. Squeeze the strands with your fingertips. Add it to the rice and mix well .