It was one of those evenings when my husband brought a guest along for dinner . I had to make an additional vegetable in a jiffy and it had to be 'Jain' i.e;without any root vegetables. That's how I made this for the first time and it turned out del-i-cious! Soon, it became a hit amongst the children and their friends.
Its a very easy recipe with most ingredients as 'optional'! Don't hesitate to try...it will be yummy anyways!
In my recipes, optional means if you have it ,use it, if you don't, the recipe can do without it.
1 can of corn / if you prefer frozen, its fine too
1/2 to 1 packet tomato puree (standard 1 packet is 500 gms.)
2 tbsp vegetable/olive oil
1 tsp cumin/jeera seeds
few fresh/frozen or dry curry leaves(limda) (optional)
1 green chilli, washed,slit lengthwise (optional)
a pinch of asafoetida (hing) powder (optional)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp red chilli powder ( less or more according to how spicy you like)
green coriander washed and chopped finely.(optional)
salt to taste
2 tablespoon cream or soya cream ( soya cream tastes the same as cream, is cholesterol free /saturated fat free)
1. Open the can. Rinse the corn in a colander.
2. In a pan, add the oil. on low heat, let it warm up. Add the cumin.Let it crackle or change colour.
3. Add green chilli and curry leaves
4. Add asafoetida and turmeric.
5. Add the corn and stir well
6. Add the chilly powder and coriander+cumin (dhana-jeeru) powder. mix well.
7. Add the tomato puree ( 1/2 to 1 pack depending upon how much gravy you would like)
8. Add salt and coriander leaves. Stir well.
9. Add cream and mix very well.
10. You can eat this with any indian bread , pita bread or rice.
Regular sliced bread is fine too.
If desired , you can add some frozen peas
capsicum (cut into cubes) after step 4