Tzatziki makes a refreshing accompaniment . It's versatility to be relished as a sauce or a dip for veggies, crackers, toasted Pita, Bread Sticks makes it a healthier option as compared to fried savoury snacks.
- 2 cups Greek Yogurt ( or any other thick yogurt )
- 1 medium Cucumber grated . Squeeze the juice out in a bowl ( you can drink the juice ! )
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves crushed or finely grated
- 10 Mint leaves finely chopped (fewer or more depending upon availability.)
- A small handful of Dill leaves , finely chopped ( Optional )
- If you don't like mint or dill, you can replace with Parsley or Coriander.
- 1/2 a lemon juice (Optional )
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to your taste
- A dash of Cayenne Pepper if you like
In a bowl, mix all the ingredients.
Chill for at least an hour.
Note: If the yogurt is not thick, you can lay a kitchen towel on a thick layer of newspaper and spread the yogurt on the kitchen towel. Alternatively , you can tie the yogurt in a kitchen towel and let it sit in a colander and let the liquid drip out . Make sure to keep a bowl under the colander.
In case you don't have garlic , mint, dill, parsley or coriander, I'd still suggest to go ahead and make it. It will be delicious anyways!