Fennel and String Beans
A very simple dish. Quick , healthy and delicious.
Great with any pasta.
Or along with a soup , salad or a slice or two of pizza.
Some bruschetta or garlic bread if you like.
- 1 medium fennel , washed and cut into slices
- 250 gms string beans , washed, topped and tailed and cut into halves
- 6 cloves of garlic , peeled and cut lengthwise
- 2 medium onions , peeled, washed, cut half and then lengthwise.
- 2 tbsp olive oil or as preferred
- salt - to taste
- pepper - freshly milled 1/2 tsp. or to your taste
- Fresh or bottled lemon juice - 1 tbsp.
I prefer to use a wide non-stick pan with a lid. A wok will do great too.
- On a low heat, warm the oil in a pan.
- Add garlic. Stir for few seconds.
- Add onion. stir. Cover. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the string beans. Stir. Cover and cook further for 2 minutes on a slightly higher heat.
- Add the fennel. Stir. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Stir again. Cook for further 2 minutes.
- Try to poke a sharp knife into a bean. If it goes through with ease, its cooked.
- Add salt , pepper to your taste.
- Add lemon juice.
- Stir and serve.