This is a very basic, all in one pan recipe. I hope the simplicity of this recipe will encourage my very busy University student friends and working youngsters to eat more at home .
By optional in most of my recipes, I mean to convey, if you have it, use it. If not, no need to go to especially buy it.Go right ahead and cook and omit what you don't have.
Serve with plain yoghurt,raita, kadhi,choley or rajma
Ingredients: Serves 2 (if its just pulao for a meal)
1) 1 tea cup Basmati rice = 1/2 mug
2) 1 can or eqivalent amount frozen corn
3) 1 tsp Cumin seeds (jeeru)
4) 1/2 tsp. Turmeric powder (haldi)
5) 1/2 tsp. red chilli powder
6) salt to taste
7) 2 tea cups boiling water ( double the amount of rice)
8) 2 tbsp. Vegetable oil
9) 1 or 2 slit green chilli (optional)
10) 1/2 tea cup washed chopped kothmir(optional)
11) Few Curry leaves/ limda/ kadhi patta (optional)
12) Few cloves chopped garlic(optional)
1 chopped onion
1 chopped tomato
few cubes frozen spinach (no need to thaw. Just rinse to wash off ice crystals) (then u can omit kothmir)
Wash rice few times with cold water. Soak in water.
In a pan , add 2-3 tbsp oil
Add jeera.wait till it crackles or changes colour.
Add chopped onion. fry for 1-2 minues
Add limda+green chillies. stir for few seconds.
Add haldi. stir.
Drain off water from the rice in a seive.
Add rice to the pan. stir. let it fry for a minute or two
Add salt+chilli powder+ tomatoes+spinach. stir.
Add corn. stir.
Bring it to a boil.
Cover with a lid and simmer till rice is cooked. (about 15-20 mins. or till water is absorbed.
Switch off the heat and let it sit covered for 10 minutes before serving.