Don't be afraid to try without all the optional ingredients.
It will be way better than any shop bought food anyways!
Bhindi 250 gms
Onion 2 medium
Tomato 1 medium (optional)
Ginger 1 or 2 inch piece(optional)
Coriander leaves few sprigs (optional)
Green Chilli 1 (optional)
Lemon juice 1 or 2 tsp (according o your taste) (optional)
Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch (optional)
Turmeric 1 level tsp
Red chilly powder 1/2 tsp (or less according to your taste)
Coriander cumin powder (Dhana jeeru powder) 2 heaped tsp. (Optional)
Oil 2 tbsp
salt to taste
- Wash and wipe the bhindis with a tea towel. Cut and discard the end bits. Cut into halves and then lengthwise into four parts. Discard if you notice any black bits in any.
- Peel onions, rinse and cut in half and then cut into long thin strips or chop.
- Wash and cut tomatoes. Discard the green bit.
- peel and grate or pound ginger.
- Slit green chilli lengthwise.
- Wash and chop coriander
In a wide non stick pan:
- On a medium heat, add oil in the pan.
- Add cumin seeds, green chilli .
- When the cumin changes color,add asafoetida and turmeric.
- Give a quick stir and add onions.Mix. Cook till softened.
- Add ginger, red chilli and dhana jeeru , a quick stir and add tomatoes.
- Lower the heat and let it cook covered for a minute.
- Add the bhindi. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and mix and cook further for 5 to 7 minutes. Stir if needed so it cooks evenly.
- Poke a sharp knife through a bhindi, if it cuts into it with ease,its cooked.
- add coriander, lemon juice salt and mix well.