Serves 2 for sure!
(Using home made mix veg masala)
- 1 coffee mug (2 tea cups) mixed steamed/boiled/ frozen veg. of your choice ( e.g; beans, peas, carrots, corn/baby corn ,cauliflower,broccoli) Some can be fresh, some frozen or canned..doesn't matter!
- Eventually capsicum chopped in cubes or even paneer/ricotta if u like.
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 medium onion-chopped as finely as possible
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes-finely chopped
- 1/2 packet-250 gms tomato puree (if using both, u can decide the proportion)
- 1/2 can (200 ml) coconut milk or 4 tbsp dessicated coconut
- 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 " piece of ginger (opt.), peeled
- 1/2 tsp jeera
- 1 to 1 1/2 tsp mix veg masala ( if u run out of it, u can use choley or pav bhaji masala)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (to your taste)
- chopped fresh coriander to garnish(opt.)
- Put oil in a pan. Add jeera and cover. When it changes colour, add onion. Mix well. Increase the heat little bit and let it cook till just changes colour....being careful that it doesn't burn! so, stiroccasionally
- While the onion is getting cooked, If u have a small grinder/mixer, blend the dessicated coconut , ginger, garlic. IF u DON'T have a mixer, finely chop or grate the garlic and ginger and instead of dessicated coconut, use canned or tetrapak coconut milk which needs to be shaken well before using. (rest can be frozen or refrigerated for later use)
- When the onion gets slightly coloured, on a LOW HEAT , add the blended coconut + garlic + ginger
add the grated onion garlic and stir, cook for a bit. You will smell the aromas of garlic/ginger.
- Add the mix veg masala. Stir.
add choley masala and stir.
- IF u r using coconut milk, first add ginger- garlic. stir; add masala. stir;
- Then add the tomatoes , cover and let it cook for a few minutes.
- Add the vegetables, salt to taste, mix well.
- Add coconut milk. Cook covered for further 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander.
- If you find the curry sour(depending on the flavor of the tomatoes), u can add extra coconut milk or cream.
- If the gravy is too thick, u can add little water.
- For that extra bit of nourishment, alongwith the coconut, you can grind some almonds or cashews too.
BON APPETIT !